Frame documnet saved as XML losing formatting

Karen West klw at cyberscience.com
Tue Jan 31 07:43:08 PST 2006

I wrote:

> I'm using Frame 7.0p492 to do a Save as xml on some Frame
> documents. I have already converted about 10 books and not
> had any major problems but suddenly I am seeing a loss of
> formatting. For example, in the Frame document there is the
> following text: (Note that formatting comments have been
> inserted in square brackets [ ])
>
> The following steps illustrate how to create a new category
> called [I]Female[/I] in the TITLE column by combining the
> values for [I]MISS[/I] and [I]MRS[/I]:

Mike Feimster asked:

> Are you converting unstructured Frame to xml?

I am indeed.

> How are you formatting the italic text? Are you clicking the I button or
> pressing ctrl-I?

Yes again.

> If so, I believe that FrameMaker drops that
> formatting when saving as xml. If you are using formats from
> the character catalog it should save the formatting.

Thanks Mike, I've just tried it and it works now using the character
catalog. Excellent, that's rather stupid though, don't you think?

Hopefully someone can help me solve problem number 2.

> I also have a 3 page Frame document, where the resulting xml
> contains only:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <?xml-stylesheet href="intro.css" type="text/css"
> charset="UTF-8"?> <XML> <TITLE> </TITLE></XML>
>
> Does anyone have any idea what's going on here. Is this
> problem fixed in a later release perhaps?

Karen West (off to flagellate myself for spelling document incorrectly in
the subject)
Technical Writer
Cyberscience Corp
http://www.cyberscience.com