Formatting cross-references

Alan Houser arh at groupwellesley.com
Mon Jul 3 20:09:15 PDT 2006

Except for the font family, superscript, and subscript properties,
FrameMaker does not replicate any character formatting from the target
of the cross-reference. This is especially problematic when _part_ of a
target has a character format applied, as in your case.

Any work-arounds for this are non-trivial. For example, I've seen
companies with product names like "<italic>Fast<default para
font>Start", which occurred frequently in headings. In the text of any
cross-references to these headings, the product name would lose its
distinctive formatting.

Workarounds for this include --
- re-write headings to avoid using the product name
- accept a default formatting for cross-reference text
- define a new font using a program like Fontographer for the italicized
portion of the product name

If I'm missing another obvious solution, I would love to hear about it.

-Alan

--
Alan Houser, President
Group Wellesley, Inc.