I want a numbered list with alphabetized substeps

karyn hunt karyn_hunt at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 3 17:08:06 PDT 2006

Hi All,

   I have a procedure with some substeps. I want to keep my regular numbered
list (<n=1> and <n+>) if at all possible, and then add alphabetized substeps
underneath (<a=1> and <a+>).

   But every time I try this, the numbered list picks up on the alphabetized
list and it throws the numbers off. For example: If my last alphabetized
step was b (a=2), then the next number shows as 3 (even if it's supposed to
be 6, or 7 or whatever) because one step after <a+>=2 is 3.

   Is there any way to make the two operate independently of one another
while still allowing the layout to utilize the entire width of the page?

   I think this has to do with setting up additional columns on the master
page, but I've never done that before and don't know the implications for my
layout (a very simple one).

Karyn