Techniques for debugging EDDs?

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 5 04:13:16 PDT 2006

Dear Frame Gurus

I have a fairly complex EDD out with end-users, and most of the bugs have been ironed out and things are working well. However, one element is still giving problems, an ordered list with nested child elements.

Without going into what might or might not be the problem, although it is entirely possible to create the required element structures using the EDD, the end users complain that 'strange things happen' with the problem element, and have proved it by sending me a crazy document fragment that is conceptually completely invalid, but which validates against the EDD.

All my formatting is done using paragraph formatting rules. I have messed with Show Element Context, but have not found it very useful and have not yet discovered what the main problem is. I just wondered whether any of you could point me in the direction of links, or techniques, for tackling this sort of situation? (I am still on Mac at the moment, so PC-specific plug-ins aren't available to me.)
--
Steve