Techniques for debugging EDDs?

Bernard Aschwanden bernard at publishingsmarter.com
Wed Jul 5 05:53:22 PDT 2006

Hi Steve,

Do your format rules have a final "Else" statement? If so, change it to a tag that is horrible, for example, red, bold, 48pts, italic, underline with a new font face.

This then will let you see what happens to "exceptions". If you didn't plan for it, then you see the ugly layout (with apologies to people who feel red, bold, 48pts, italic, underline and a new font face looks really sharp).

Basically, your rule could read:

If [whatever] then Body
ElseIf [whatever] then Heading
ElseIf [whatever] then Numbered
ElseIf [whatever] then Bulleted
Else then really ugly

Be careful with the order as well. With context rules a "hit" results in the rules "stopping". You can use multiple context rules though. With count ancenstors you have the "answer" right away, but only that specific condition is met and applied. Again, you can use multiple rules.

Basically you can build rules using any mix of context and count that you need to, just keep putting in new ones and not nesting them if you want more than one format rule to apply.

Let's see...

Paragraph tags overwrite one off formatting. So, ensure you apply the full paragraph format first in your rules, then create a second rule to add overrides. For example, if you use Bulleted everywhere in a list and want bullets within bullets to have extra indents, then apply your tag first, your overrides second. Otherwise the "winning" paragraph format is applied after you put in rules. That is, first state that all items in a bullet list have the paragraph Bulleted applied. Then create a second context rule that says "if a bulletlist in a bulletlist" add indents and tweak tab stops.

I'm sure that there are other things I do in the EDD build, but it's still my "vacation" week, so I'm only running on 10% of my brain cells. Others will likely jump in with some other suggestions, many of which may be better than this.

All the best,

Bernard

Bernard Aschwanden
Publishing Technologies Expert