Workaround for marker character limit?

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Mon Jul 10 07:24:41 PDT 2006

At 06:03 AM 7/10/2006, Kay Ethier wrote:
>Good suggestion, but with the number of markers with long entries, having
>them do find/replaces each time they regenerate would be a pain.  They are
>using XML and Structured Frame to automate processes, and having this
>process break down is a serious glitch to them.

Kay,
   The find/replace technique would need to be automated, either with a
plug-in, FrameScript, or using a conversion table to structure the
generated index, saving it to XML for XSLT processing, and then opening it
back up in FrameMaker.
   Is the customer editing the markers in FrameMaker or in XML? With some
conventions about formatting and font changes, it's fairly straightforward
to duplicate FrameMaker's index functionality in XSLT, generating
cross-references for all the page numbers.
         --Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284