Going nutso' with a "phantom" cross-reference

Tammy.VanBoening at jeppesen.com Tammy.VanBoening at jeppesen.com
Fri Jul 14 07:34:32 PDT 2006

Framemaker 7.1, all patches, Windows XP.

I have a 12 file book that whenever generated gives the same single error
message - unresolved cross-reference in a particular file in the book.
When I click on the error message in the Book Error Log, however, I don't
"jump" to the same location all of the time - sometimes it's page 1,
sometimes page 10, etc. and sometimes, I get that unable to find the error
in the file message. I have spent 4 hours trouble-shooting this guide to
no avail! Since this is a container file for text insets and I use
conditional text, I have done the following:

I have manually checked each and every crosss-reference in the container
file itself with all conditions turned on and no unresolved x-refs are
found.
I have manually checked each and every text inset in the container file
with all conditions turned on and have found no unresolved x-refs.
I have generated a PDF of the file and checked each and every x-ref for
the 'dead link' syndrome and all links work as expected.
I have used search and find on the container file with all conditions
turned on and I get the message that no unresolved x-refs are found.
I have used search and find on the text inset book and have even opned the
text insets themselves in the container file and used search and find and
I get the message that no unresolved x-refs are found.
In frustration and desparation, I even searched for all x-ref markers in
the file and found no errant markers.

At this point, I am stumped and at a complete loss. The only reason that I
am being so anal about this is that SQA rules dictate that the final
version of any document checked in must be error-free and right now, I
can't say that because I keep getting this single blasted error message.

Any and all advice, thoughts, suggestions (virtual sledgehammers) are
appreciated.

Thanks,

TVB

Tammy Van Boening