Looking for a technique for applying conditionals

Tue Jul 18 14:01:44 PDT 2006

John Posada wrote:

> My issue: I have some instances where they are listed in a
> bullet list, which makes it easy to apply the conditionals as
> I need them.
> However, some instances use OS specific references in a sentence.
> Following is an example of one.
>
> -------------
>     This utility collects version information and saves
>     the /conf, /local, /rules, and /setup directories to
>     a .tar file (UNIX) or a .zip file (Windows).
> -------------
>
> I'm looking for a way to apply conditionals so that when
> applied, the sentence becomes:
>
> -------------
>    This utility collects version information and saves
>    the /conf, /local, /rules, and /setup directories to
>    a .tar file (UNIX).
>
> and
>
>    This utility collects version information and saves
>    the /conf, /local, /rules, and /setup directories to
>    a .zip file (Windows).
> ---------------
>
> The tricky part is the word "or". When both OSs are used, the 'or"
> has its place. However, when either OS is used to the
> exclusion of the other, the "or" should be removed.

My advice: Use three conditions, Win, Unix, and Both, and three
_complete_ paragraphs, one for each condition. Applying conditions to a
word here and there is just asking for trouble -- extra spaces or spaces
missing, etc.

Conditionalize at the pgf level (or at least, at the sentence level).
Even though you end up repeating some of each pgf 3 times, it's much
cleaner, easier to maintain, and less error-prone.

"It's my opinion and it's very true." ;-)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer