Structured FM - TOC and IX

Matt Sullivan matt at grafixtraining.com
Mon Jul 24 20:11:42 PDT 2006

Hi Ellen,

TOC's and Indexes will not typically be structured in Frame. When
considering the typical SGML/XML output for structured files, the focus is
on delivering content, not formatting. The headings & markers used in
creating the generated files are structured, but the TOC & Index simply
indicate pagination for your SGML/XML application, not necessarily what your
end-user's pagination will be. In other words, the TOC & Index could be
considered formatting info only, not content.

A structured book can require the TOC & Index, but the content of those
files will be unstructured, similar to the way an unstructured graphic
object can be wrapped within a Figure element.

I can't say this is the only way to handle your problem, but it's certainly
made my client's installations very straightforward.

-Matt

Matt Sullivan
GRAFIX Training & Consulting
www.grafixtraining.com