Aligned table cells in 2-columns layout

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 10:11:53 PDT 2006

This is kind of a kludge and you'll have to fiddle with it, but it will work.

Create a new para format based on your body tag -- "Foo."

In the Para Designer, Basic tab for Foo, assuming it's a 12 pt font
with 2 pt leading, set your Space Below to -28 pt (2x font+leading
size). I set line spacing to Fixed too, just to keep things simple.

Hit Enter a few times so you have three Body paras. Then set the
middle tag to Foo.
Insert the table, so that the anchor is the only content in Foo. (Note
that the table is going to be floating above the frame containing the
tag, so the anchor point disappears.)

Select the table and in your Table Designer, Basic tab for the table
style, set Space Above to -28 pt (font size + leading).

That should get your started. Time to twiddle. I had to adjust the
Space Below in Foo a point at a time to make it precise, and ended up
with a -26 pt. Drawing a line across the page as a reference to which
to align the cell rules helps.

Art

On 7/26/06, Olsson, Kristina <Kristina.Olsson at sonyericsson.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a document with two columns per page, and I would like the table
> cells to be aligned horizontally.
> Above the table there is a heading which goes across the columns. If I
> place the marker for the table immediately after the heading, the entire
> table will only show in the left column. If I place the marker at the
> line below the heading, the table appears in both columns but the table
> cells are not aligned horizontally.
> Does anyone know how to align the table cells horizontally (so that the
> horizontal table cell lines are placed in line with each other) when
> using a 2-column layout?
> I'm grateful for help.
>
> Regards Kristina
> Editor, User documentation