Applying a character format to page number in index

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Thu Jun 1 12:20:23 PDT 2006

I keep thinking of this as a trick question, but it took me a while
to figure out why! It's a reasonable request to have a different
appearance for page numbers in an index. Sometimes, an italic or bold
page number indicates an illustrated item, or the primary entry, etc.

So, why "trick?" Well, why use page numbers at all in index entries
(or ToC entries, or cross-references) of an electronic publication,
when clicking a link takes care of the navigation for the viewer?

If the documents are sometimes used in their electronic forms, and at
other times in their paper versions, then perhaps it's a good idea to
number everything for consistency.