Framemaker and Translation

Diane Gaskill dgcaller at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 6 23:03:58 PDT 2006

The instructions Mathieu is referred to are part of what is usually called a
localization kit.  The kit includes all of the files you want translated +
the instructions.  The instructions explain what each file is, how the files
are related (FM book + chapter files, etc.) where they are included in the
zip files you send, and what you want done with the files.  This is
especialy true if you are having a product translated.  You need to explain
what you want translated and what you don't.  For example, the internal
markers (index, links, etc.) are never translated.  The vendor should know
that but it's good to make sure.  You also should include a glossary of term
used in your industry.  I have a sample kit that includes all the details if
you want it.

The internal proofreaders are usually people in the offices located in the
countries where the language(s) of the translated docs are spoken.  it is
often advantageous to include them in the process from the beginning.

This and a lot more is explained in the book I told you about.

Diane