Framemaker and Translation

Wim Hooghwinkel (Scriptware) wimh at scriptware.nl
Wed Jun 7 00:14:25 PDT 2006

Hello Loren

Before you start looking for a translation company have a look at your manuals and documentation and check if these are suited for translation. There are many guidelines available (on the internet, perform a search for 'guide to localization' or similar), also from FrameMaker users. Note that although your FrameMaker manuals may be set up to be perfectly printed or converted to PDF, there can be many issues that frustrate proper translation. Besides that, there are many issues to consider: illustrations, software screens, software strings (menu items refered to in the manuals), on line help, etc. You should take all this into account when designing your international documentation.

FrameMaker files can be saved as MIF and all translation tools can use MIF files as input for translation, thus generating a translated MIF file that can be opened in FrameMaker again. Basically all text will be replaced by translated text, while keeping all formatting. But be aware that the results may not be as expected when the documents are not properly prepared. For example all 'tweaked' formatting and manual overrides (hard returns, extra spaces) are maintained - the length of other languages will differ from English text so results can be awkward (Spanish text will take at least 140% more space then English text).

If you don't use FrameMaker yet, you could consider to start creating XML and publish using FrameMaker (or any other tool). XML can be translated easily as well.

You can contact me off list if you need any further help on this.

Met vriendelijke groet / kind regards,
Wim Hooghwinkel wimh at scriptware.nl
DTP and XML Management
Scriptware bv http://www.scriptware.nl
tel : +31 (0)23 548 48 84
fax : +31 (0)23 548 48 85
http://www.scriptware.nl
info at scriptware.nl info at scriptware.nl
Translation |  DTP |  Technical Writing |  Content Management |  Consultancy