Hiding Pages?

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 9 02:48:44 PDT 2006

At 14:39 -0400 8/6/06, Schoen, Brady wrote:

>What I have is a "Parts Drawing" on the left, and the "Parts Listing" on the
>right for each brand. The entire page is specific to each brand, not just a
>word or the drawing, the entire page. What I did was put all 8 decal pages
>(1 Drawing page and 1 parts listing page for each brand x 4
>brands)consecutively in the book. I then highlighted everything on the pages
>and tagged everything I wanted shown for each brand as a different tag. What
>happens is when I hide 3 tags and show the 1 I want in the book, it leaves a
>blank page for all the other brands decal pages that are now hidden. If I
>delete the extra pages, I can't get it to show the other three tagged items
>again. Any ideas?

Brady - all the ideas presented here already would handle some or all of your issues if used correctly. However, from your description above, I wonder whether the variant information is not - or can be made not - part of the flow of the remainder of the document(s), *and* that entires page's contents are variant? If this is the case, possibly your simplest approach to conditional tags, which should get round the blank page issue you mention, is to place all the variant page content within an anchored frame, and conditionalize that. Turing off the tag will then conceal the entire frame's contents - rather than conditionalizing it item by item.

If you try this, be aware that FrameMaker allows you to conditionalize *both* an anchored frame [i.e. its anchor] *and* the paragraph/text in which it lies. The results of not displaying the tagged material will differ: in one case only the frame will disappear, in the other its enclosing text/paragraph will also disappear. You probably want to tag the paragraph that encloses the anchored frame.
--
Steve