Framemaker and Translation

Diane Gaskill dgcaller at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 9 08:33:48 PDT 2006

Wim,

I cannot imagine why you think translation and the tools used to do it
should not be discussed here.  I have been answering questions about
localzation on this list for 14 years.  So many questions in fact, that I
eventually compiled the answers to them into a small book, and at the
request of the former listowner (Brad), made a presentation called
Localization and Framemaker at the 2000 Frame Users conference.  At least
500 people have either requested the book or downloaded it from the website.

Regarding the tools (and yes, there are more than just Trados,) the more a
writer knows about what happens to the files he or she creates, the better
job they can do to prepare them for translation.  While I would certainly
agree that the primary topic on this list is FM, I would not think that a
related topic to its use is OT on this list.

Diane