Variables vs Cross-references vs Text Insets [WAS: Hiding Pages?]

David Bills dmbills at cfl.rr.com
Sat Jun 10 01:50:57 PDT 2006

Eric,

It may not be a relevant issue for you, but our department switched from
xrefs to variables because the less experienced Frame users kept breaking
the links and generating unresolved xrefs. We didn't think this would be
difficult problem to resolve, but a number of the writers kept breaking the
links after they had been trained, so we changed the way we managed the
nomenclatures.

The point I'm attempting to make is that large departments, particularly
those that weigh specialized technical skills and experience higher than
desktop publishing skills, should factor the Frame capabilities of their
less skilled Frame users into these types of decisions.

Dave Bills