Variables vs Cross-references vs Text Insets [WAS: Hiding Pages?]

eric.dunn at ca.transport.bombardier.com eric.dunn at ca.transport.bombardier.com
Mon Jun 12 06:57:45 PDT 2006

"David Bills" <dmbills at cfl.rr.com> wrote on 06/10/2006 04:50:57 AM:
> The point I'm attempting to make is that large departments, particularly
> those that weigh specialized technical skills and experience higher than
> desktop publishing skills, should factor the Frame capabilities of their
> less skilled Frame users into these types of decisions.

And employees, who value their jobs and take professional pride in their
work should be able to learn to do something fairly simple like making
Xrefs. But I understand your concern. Some people just can't 'get' certain
ways of working. But, IMO, it is the place of management to set the
minimum expectations and discipline accordingly.

Actually, if your Xrefs were breaking it was probably more to do with the
setup than the writers. No amount of training will help a Frame user keep
Xrefs connected if the path includes a drive root. Those will break
eventually no matter how hard you try.

But, all limitations in that regard can be overcome with either the
BookUtils plug-in or an in-house script.

It can be as simple as each file having a copy of the nomenclature file
copied locally so that all links are relative and immediate. The Xrefs
then simply need to be pointed to the central file for production or
copies of the central file placed with the working files. However you
maintain and/or store the target files, maintaining and resolving the
Xrefs should be quite simple to do.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently. Please note that in order to
protect the security of our information systems an AntiSPAM solution is in
use and will browse through incoming emails.
Thank you.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier/s), transmis par courriel, peut
contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à
l?usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est par
les présentes avisée qu?il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l?avez reçu par inadvertance,
veuillez nous en aviser et détruire ce message. Veuillez prendre note
qu'une solution antipollupostage (AntiSPAM) est utilisée afin d'assurer la
sécurité de nos systems d'information et qu'elle furètera les courriels
entrant.
Merci.