Methodology for Source Code Control

Peter Ring pri at ddf.dk
Fri Jun 23 04:34:03 PDT 2006

It is not quite clear what your problem is.

Branches are for lines of development, i.e. parallel development of
variants with a common ancestor and some need to merge changes between
branches and trunk. Is that what you have to do?

Maybe you just want an easy way to retrieve the set of revisions that is
related to a specific release. You don't need branches for that, just a
'release' tag or a date. You can branch at that release point later if
you need.

If you don't have release tags yet, you can easily tag (or retrieve) the
set of revisions at a specific date and time.

There is a description of cvs branches, what they are good for, and some
advice on practices in the cvs documentation. See the section 'Branching
and merging'.

See also 'Open Source Development with CVS', Chapter 6 'Going Out On A
Limb', http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.htm.

Kind regards
Peter Ring