Localization and switch to A4 paper

Daniel Doornbos danield at promise.com
Fri Jun 23 16:58:40 PDT 2006

Hi Melanie,

For my company, I prepare user documents in A5 size (one-half of an A4
page). An A4 page measures 8.27x11.69 inches, slightly taller and
narrower than 8.5x11-inch letter size paper. The USA is about the only
country in the world that uses this standard of paper sizing, everybody
else uses the metric A0 to A8 system.

Most laser printers can adjust the print size of a document that does
not match the size of the paper in the printer. Letter size documents
printed onto A4 paper, or vice versa, print at around 94% of the
original size. If that arrangement is OK, you may be able to keep using
your letter size template.

If you choose to develop a new template, you can base it on your
existing template and simply adjust the dimensions and placement of your
text boxes and other items to fit the new page. I suggest that you
hand-draw a set of page diagrams with all the template elements on them.
Calculate the new dimensions and write them on your diagram. Then
prepare your new template in FrameMaker. It may take a few tries to get
the template exactly the way you want. Set aside a few hours to work on
the template project.

Daniel Doornbos
Technical Writer
Promise Technology, Inc.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in or attached to this
email message is either proprietary and/or confidential information, or
information intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
If you have received this communication in error, please immediately
notify us by email and delete the original message from your
computer/server with confirmation to us that you have done so.  Thank
you.