table anchors - best practices?

Karen Mardahl k.mardahl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 14:55:38 PDT 2006

Thanks to everyone - there has been a lot of useful information in this thread.

On 6/28/06, Stuart Rogers <srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com> wrote:
> Rick Quatro wrote:
> >
> > Set the Space Above setting for the table to -2 and set the Space Below
> > setting for the Anchor paragraph to -2.
> >

> I use an anchor pgf the same size as my body text (10 pt type, 12 pt
> line spacing) with Space Below of -12 for the pgf and Space Above on the
> table of -12. This has the advantage of making the anchor's pilcrow
> easier to see/select than a 2-pt sized pilcrow.
>
> (The Space Above/Below settings have to have an absolute value the same
> as, or larger than, your anchor's line spacing.)

I am starting to pick up on this negative number trick. For my table
anchor, I had settled on a font at 7pt (I like seeing that tag!), and
the para catalog defaulted to line space 8 pt. No space above or
below. My tables are set to 0 pt above. The white space between a text
block and a table is then just from the table anchor (plus a bit from
the regular body tag, I think.) I had thought it looked a wee bit too
tiny, so I will experiment some more, based on the numbers discussed
here. I am doing pioneer work here, so the nice people who kindly
responded here have now provided me with some sales arguments for
adding a table anchor to our catalogs. Thank you very much!!

regards, Karen Mardahl