table anchors - best practices?

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Thu Jun 29 08:11:05 PDT 2006

Karen Mardahl wrote:

> I am starting to pick up on this negative number trick. For my table
> anchor, I had settled on a font at 7pt (I like seeing that tag!), and
> the para catalog defaulted to line space 8 pt. No space above or
> below. My tables are set to 0 pt above. The white space between a text
> block and a table is then just from the table anchor (plus a bit from
> the regular body tag, I think.) I had thought it looked a wee bit too
> tiny, so I will experiment some more, based on the numbers discussed
> here. I am doing pioneer work here, so the nice people who kindly
> responded here have now provided me with some sales arguments for
> adding a table anchor to our catalogs. Thank you very much!!

The main advantage of the "negative number trick" is that if a table
happens to flow to the top of a page, there will be no white space above
it. Without the trick, you'll get white space between your top margin
and your table -- not a good thing.

s.

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in
moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification
for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith, 1908-2006
"The smartest export Canada ever sent to the United States."

Get Firefox!
http://tinyurl.com/8q9c5