OT: Syntax for if/then statement

T.W. Smith techwordsmith at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 11:22:54 PDT 2006

I think there's two things going on here. But, the editor should be open to
discussion because she's a member of the team.

Anyway:

1) If X then Y is fine. The conditional clause can be introduced that way.

However, where I think the editor is going is the need for coordinating
conjunctions to avoid comma splices.

2) Click File, click New. That comma splice becomes, "Click File, then click
New." which is technically incorrect and ought be "Click File, and then
click New."

However, "Click File, then click New." works for me (though I use Click File
> New." or a semi-colon, depending on context.)

======
T.