Page Numbering Properties

Joe Malin jmalin at tuvox.com
Mon Mar 6 13:04:47 PST 2006

Good points. In a message that crossed paths with yours, I granted that
the current standard fits all situations, and is therefore most
familiar. Perhaps it also adds credibility.

I would like to point out, though, that the argument about navigation is
a stretch. Most books also feature running headers and footers that
assist in navigation. You can easily navigate to the first page of the
first chapter, but once you start looking for the first page of the
*second* chapter, no numbering scheme helps. That is, no scheme works
unless you use chapter-page numbering, which I do not like all that
much.

Your argument also assumes that one is reading a paper version of the
book. In an online book, the reader might find it easier to go to a
particular page with some command built into the reading software.
*THAT* is where the problem really lies. In the text, the author refers
to page 58. The reader uses the command to go to page 58, but the
software is not aware that the first 10 pages of the file are numbered
i-x. The jump to page 58 actually yields page 48!

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin at tuvox.com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.