Page Numbering Properties

Mon Mar 6 14:43:35 PST 2006

Count me among those who think continuous numbering with a change in
format makes no sense. It strikes me as completely stupid,
counterintuitive, and guaranteed to confuse.

As for Joe's point about online reading:

> *THAT* is where the problem really lies. In the text, the author
refers
> to page 58. The reader uses the command to go to page 58, but the
> software is not aware that the first 10 pages of the file are numbered
> i-x. The jump to page 58 actually yields page 48!

No, the problem lies with the tech writer who distributes PDFs like
that. You can, in Acrobat, set the page numbering to match your document
(Roman numbers for frontmatter, restart with Arabic numbers at Chapter
1, etc.). If you don't want to do it manually in Acrobat, you can do it
in FM using Rick Quatro's PageLabeler plug-in (see frameexpert.com).
There's no reason, other than ignorance or laziness, for your PDF's
physical and logical page numbers not to match.

I'll refrain from telling you what I think of referring to page 58
without making it a hyperlink. ;-)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs