Content Management (was Anyone used Tortoise CVS with Frame Files)

eric.dunn at ca.transport.bombardier.com eric.dunn at ca.transport.bombardier.com
Thu Mar 16 09:25:25 PST 2006

Laura Lemay wrote on 03/16/2006 11:07:06 AM:
> My experience with MIF is that for the purposes of source code control
> it is the worst of both ascii and binary.  MIF files may be ASCII but
> they are really huge, and a significant part of the file is different
> between saves in FM even if you only make small changes.

Which is why in my post I included:
>>Now if you were to save MIF files to a versioning system, it would be a
>>good exercise to see how much of the MIF could be eliminated before
>>committing to the versioning system.

The minimal MIF needed for a complete FM document is all that needs to be
checked into any versioning system.

Removing all Template components, line breaks, unique IDs, and a whole
slew of other data from the MIF file results in a much smaller and more
appropriate versioning content.

My beef with FM is that you can't select MIF options when saving. But some
PERL scripting or XSL and MIFML could take you a long way.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently.
Thank you.

Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier/s), transmis par courriel, peut
contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à
l?usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est par
les présentes avisée qu?il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l?avez reçu par inadvertance,
veuillez nous en aviser et détruire ce message.
Merci.