Unusual characters appearing with Arial Unicode MS

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Wed Mar 22 16:34:57 PST 2006

Hi Framers,

Couple of questions for you.

When I use \m in FM I expect to get an em dash, instead I get what
looks like a Japanese character. When I type alt+0151 I get the same
character in FM. But when I type that into a word processor I get the
correct em dash. I change the font to, say, Arial and the correct
symbol appears. I need the Unicode version for the macrons.

By the way, the Arial Unicode MS is Truetype.

Is this a problem with FM? I have 7.1p116.

Also, I have assigned a variable to the footer to get the text
"Chapter last updated March 2006". It is <$monthname> <$year>, but
instead of getting the month name and year I get " 3 2006". I have
tried changing the building blocks to other options and get the same
result each time.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks
Alan