Another spellchecker query

Ridder, Fred fred.ridder at intel.com
Fri Mar 24 10:23:38 PST 2006

Another approach is to modify the behavior of the spelling checker
rather than completely suppressing spell-checking. The Spelling
Checker Options dialog lets you specify that words in all caps or
words that contain specified characters (e.g. punctuation marks),
for example.

It may also be helpful to remember a couple of characteristics of
FrameMaker's spelling checker that separate if from the dumb
spell-checkers we may be used to in other applications.

First and foremost, FrameMaker does not spell-check every paragraph
on every spell-check pass. It uses a paragraph-level spell-check flag
so that it only checks new paragraphs or paragraphs that have been
changed in some way since it was last spell-checked. If you *want*
FrameMaker to do a complete spell-check you have to explicitly
select the Mark All Paragraphs for Rechecking option in the Dictionaries
dialog. The bottom line is that under normal usage only the first
time you spell-check a document will every paragraph that has a
specified language be checked.

Also remember to make appropriate use of the "Allow in document"
button when doing that initial spell-check. This adds the questioned
word to an internal word list that functions much like an additional
user that applies only to thatdocument. After you OK a word or
acronym or abbreviation in a given file, FrameMaker won't question
it again unless/until you use the Recheck All option.

In our group's docs, we use Language = None only for code listing
paragraphs. We use lots of acronyms and abbreviations and find
the small pain of the first full spell-check pass to be quite
acceptable.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ