Cross Referencing Multiple Book Files

nancy carpenter carpentn at genco.com
Tue May 2 11:57:45 PDT 2006

Julie:
I've had this same problem.  The directory structure must be the same, and
the pdf must have the same name as the FrameMaker book.

I put books inside subfolders, but when I want the pdfs to be in the same
folder, without subfolders, I create all the FrameMaker books in the parent
folder using Save Book As.  In addition, if I want the pdf to have a
specific name, for instance adding a date to it, I create a FrameMaker book
with that name.  Then all the links work.

Nancy Carpenter
Lead Technical Writer
GENCO Distribution System
100 Papercraft Park
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15238

|---------+------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           "Spreadbury, David"                         |
|         |           <david.spreadbury at tellabs.com>              |
|         |           Sent by:                                    |
|         |           framers-bounces+carpentn=genco.com at lists.fra|
|         |           meusers.com                                 |
|         |                                                       |
|         |                                                       |
|         |           05/02/2006 02:32 PM                         |
|         |                                                       |
|---------+------------------------------------------------------->
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                              |
  |       To:       <jleake at unifocus-denver.com>, <framers at lists.frameusers.com>                 |
  |       cc:                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  RE: Cross Referencing Multiple Book Files                                    |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Julie,
When creating cross-references between books, the directory structure
relationship between the files must be maintained. If the folder
structure, when you created the links looks like:

ReleaseNotes
Book1
  Book1.pdf
Book2
  Book2.pdf
Book3
  Book3.pdf

the resultant PDFs must maintain the same relationship, forever, for the
links to work correctly.

If you are relocating the PDFs to one folder, you will get broken links.