Lines wrapping properly in List of Figures

Ridder, Fred fred.ridder at intel.com
Tue May 2 14:54:11 PDT 2006

I can see that it *might* be useful to include the product name
in the caption if each figure if the product name doesn't already
appear somewhere on the page (like the header or footer). But
I'm not sure that I see how having the product name repeated
in several dozen (or a hundred or so) consecutive entries in
the LOF is adding any value. To me, it will make the LOF
harder to use because readers will not be able to do a quick
scan down the left margin to find the screen they are interested
in.

Having said that, my approach would be to find some way to
eliminate the product name from the LOF entries. If the
captions are not numbered you could use the paragraph's
Numbering properties to insert the product name in the captions
so that the <$paratext> building block in the LOF would pick
up only the text of the caption (screen name) and keep things
shorter in each entry.

Other than that, the only real solution is to fiddle with the
right margin setting relative to the tab stop for the page
numbers. You need them to be as close together as possible.
One of the few features of MS Word that I really miss is the
ability to set the tab stop for the page number column to
be *outside* the right indent for TOC/LOT/LOF entries; the
way Word does it, the right indent controls where the line
will break independently of the page number column's position.
But in FrameMaker, any tab stop beyond the right indent is
completely ignored.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ