Outsourcing: Was Release Date for FrameMaker 8?

Gillian Flato gflato at nanometrics.com
Tue May 16 10:45:39 PDT 2006

>>Outsourcing is not an evil. It's evolution, and was bound to happen as
other countries break into the tech sphere. Balance will eventually be
met, as with anything. The trick is not how to keep jobs in higher-pay
regions, but how to deliver greater value.

From a business standpoint, sure, it's about value but is there really
value in outsourcing, or is it just cheaper?

I did a contract at a company that had outsourced its Tech Writing to
India but after seeing how poorly the Indians wrote English, they
brought TW back to America.

Another company I worked at outsourced QA to Russia, bragging to us how
they saved 50%. But guess what! The Russians took twice as long to do
anything and many times, the quality was not as good, so there went
there 50% savings. Not to mention the low morale around the office by
the Americans who saw their jobs going overseas. Many people spent more
time gossiping about whose job was going next than doing work. Many
other people around the office were just pissed all the time, thereby
lowering their productivity, and others left, thereby screwing the
company since they were needed.

For the government, it's a bad deal. They lose a lot of tax base when
workers are laid off and don't pay as much in taxes, not to mention the
loss in unemployment dollars they have to shell out.

So I don't think it is such a great thing.

-Gillian