Find not finding

Beck, Charles Charles.Beck at infor.com
Fri May 19 06:26:40 PDT 2006

Hi fellow Framers,

Got a new one I've never seen before: One of my local colleagues is
working with a Frame file he inherited somewhere along the line. He did
a search for a string that he *knows* is in the file. If the cursor is
in the particular section where the string is when he starts the search,
Find can locate it. However, if the cursor is anywhere *outside* that
section, Find cannot locate it, acts as if it isn't even there.

After experimenting with it, we have come to the conclusion that there
must be something in one of the section headers or something that is
blocking attempts to search that section if the cursor is outside the
section when the search is done. But we're really not certain.

The problem *seems* to be restricted to that one section, but there is
no way to be absolutely sure, and that is our concern. What if there are
other sections in this file or other files in this book that are doing
the same thing? We often use strings of question marks to identify
troublespots in the text that we need to fix and then search on them
later. However, if the search engine does not find them, we run the risk
of leaving such relics in the text. Even in "normal" usage, we run the
risk of not finding strings that we are trying to fix.

We're using Frame 7.0 on Windows machines.

Has anyone else ever seen a problem like this? Can anyone give us any
idea what might be going on here?

Please reply to me directly (even if replying to the list as well),
because I get the posts in digest format. We'd like to address the
problem today, if possible.

Thanks,
Chuck

Chuck Beck | Sr. Information Developer | Infor | office: 614-523-7302 |
Charles.Beck at infor.com