OT: autonumbering in Word, was:Career advice--which application to focus on: FM or Word?

Jon Harvey JHarvey at cambridgesoft.com
Fri May 19 12:25:44 PDT 2006

Hi Lin,

The great realization I had about Word is that the autonumbering feature
is NOT an attribute of the paragraph style like it is in FrameMaker.
Instead, think of the paragraph styles as being attributes of the
autonumbering feature. In turn, think of the autonumbering as an
attribute of the overall documentation design. When Adobe and Microsoft
designed their autonumbering features, they thought about it in two
entirely different ways.

That being said, I'll try to offer some instructions on using the
feature in Word(let me know if you get stuck).

1. Create all your heading styles first, but DO NOT apply any
autonumbering to them, just format the font and paragraph attributes.
Also, when you create your heading styles, be sure that they are based
on "No Style"

2. Go to Format>Bullets and Numbering. To keep from messing up the
autonumbering, this is the ONLY way to modify the autonumbering in your
document, never go through the paragraph styles.

3. In the Bullets and Numbering box, go to the Outline tab and click the
Reset button to clear out any previously existing numbering formats.
Then select any one of the numbering boxes (except of course the 'None')
and click Customize.

4. Starting at level 1 and ending at level 9 (or however deep you want
your numbering), delete all the content in the Number Format box. This
will remove the default numbering system.

5. Starting at level 9 and working backward, select {1,2,3) in the
Numbering Style box and select the corresponding level number in the
Starting At scroll box. For example, select '9' for level 9, '8' for
level 8, etc. The only reason you want to do this is to keep things from
getting confusing in the next few steps. Go back through each level and
ensure that the only thing that appears in the Numbering Format box is
the shaded level number.

6. Starting again at level 9, put your cursor in the Numbering Format
box (BEFORE the '9') and select '8' in the Previous level number box.
'8' appears in the Numbering Format box before the '9'. If you want to
separate the two numbers type a dash, period, or whatever you want.

7. With level 9 still selected, repeat step 6 over and over, selecting
'7','6','5', etc from the Previous level number box. Make sure your
cursor is where you want the number to appear before you select the
number. When you are done, the box should show "1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9" for
level 9.

8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 for levels 8,7,6,5,4,3,2 and 1 in order.

9. check your work. Click through the level box for each level, 1-9. You
should see:

1.
1.2
1.2.3
1.2.3.4
1.2.3.4.5
1.2.3.4.5.6
1.2.3.4.5.6.7
1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8
1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9

10. Click the "More" button on the right side of the Bullets and
Numbering window and locate the "Link Level with Style" box.

11. In the Level list, select level 1.

12. in the "Link level with Style" box, select "Heading 1".

13. Repeat steps 11-12 for level 2 and Heading 2, level 3 and Heading 3,
etc. For levels 2-9, make sure the "Restart after level box is checked
and the correct number appears in the corresponding window. For example,
you want level 2 to restart after a level 1 heading.

14. Select "Apply changes to: Whole list".

15. Remember in step 5 changing level 9 to '9", etc? Go back through all
the levels and change them to 1 in the Starting at box.

16. After all is said and done, click the OK button to close the
customization and bullets and numbering windows.

17. To use the autonumbering feature you just created, just assign
headings 1,2, etc. to whatever paragraphs you want.

So, is autonumbering in Word a pain? Yes. Does it work? Yes, but it is
easy to mess up. BTW, you can also assign autonumbering to tables,
figures, examples using similar steps.