OT: autonumbering in Word

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Fri May 19 14:01:38 PDT 2006

Jon Harvey wrote:
> Hi Lin,
>
> The great realization I had about Word is that the autonumbering feature
> is NOT an attribute of the paragraph style like it is in FrameMaker.
> Instead, think of the paragraph styles as being attributes of the
> autonumbering feature. In turn, think of the autonumbering as an
> attribute of the overall documentation design. When Adobe and Microsoft
> designed their autonumbering features, they thought about it in two
> entirely different ways.

Actually, I think Microsoft thought about it in 17 different ways, all
by itself. For a good laugh, read the entire document at
http://tinyurl.com/5qo8d ("Word's Numbering Explained" by John McGhie, a
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional).

Regrettably, Jon, it sounds from McGhie's explanation that even your
exhaustively careful preparation of numbering will not immunize you from
all risks of numbering disaster. Apparently all you have to do is copy
some numbered (or just bulleted!) content from another document and
paste it into yours...

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in
moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification
for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith, 1908-2006
"The smartest export Canada ever sent to the United States."

Get Firefox!
http://tinyurl.com/8q9c5