OT: autonumbering in Word

Jon Harvey JHarvey at cambridgesoft.com
Fri May 19 14:43:20 PDT 2006

I agree. What I've been able to do is create autonumbered documents that
seem to hold better than a house of cards. I still can't build a
fortress tho. There's always gonna be someone who can mess it up. It's
not necessarily because they are careless either. Microsoft has tried so
hard to automate features in Word that a writer doing one thing can
cause another to change without the writer knowing about it. When using
the autonumbering feature, the writer just has to know what those things
are. If they do, they can prevent/fix a lot of their problems. For
example, one thing I discovered is to base all autonumber headings on
"no style".

BTW, if you want to import bullets or autonumbered content, just assign
your document's native autonumbered headings to them. (Actually, I'm not
sure this will work, but if it doesn't, it is easy to fix.)

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in
moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification

for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith, 1908-2006
"The smartest export Canada ever sent to the United States."

Get Firefox!
http://tinyurl.com/8q9c5