What do you use for PDF Generation?

Mike McCallister workingwriter at gmail.com
Tue May 23 10:21:53 PDT 2006

Z,

One other possibility is to have folks import their Word docs into
OpenOffice, and then Save as PDF.  OO does a very nice job.  I don't
have experience converting Excel to PDF in OO, but that should be OK
too.

Hope this helps,

Mike McCallister

On 5/23/06, Syed Zaeem Hosain <Syed.Hosain at aeris.net> wrote:

> My questions related to the fact that we need to get PDF creation
> ability for *all* the employees in our company, and the price of
> Acrobat Pro (or Standard, too) would be very prohibitive. These
> folks mostly do not use FrameMaker ... most are simply using Word
> and Excel for their daily stuff.
>
> Right now, I am leaning towards either Acrobat Elements or PDF995
> as the "preferred" solution for this new policy ... those seem to
> have garnered the most "votes" too, but I do plan on quickly looking
> at some of the open-source freebie stuff as well.

> >> Hence, my questions:
> >>
> >> 1. What are you all using for PDF file creation?
> >>
> >> 2. Does it allow forms? I.e., for external folks to fill in fields and
> >> send back the form!
> >>
> >> 3. What would you recommend we do, if you were setting up a similar
> >> policy?
> >>
> >> Thanks!

Mike McCallister
Technical Writing Consultant, Compuware