numbering conundrum

Diane Gaskill dgcaller at earthlink.net
Thu May 25 10:36:25 PDT 2006

I had a similar numbering problem yesterday with one file out of 18 in a
book. (Must be the phase of the moon or something causing all these
numbering problems at once, huh?)

I'm using continued paragraph numbering in sub-chapter files.  All of the
files in one section of the book worked except one.  No matter what I did,
the first heading in that file stayed at 0.1 (heading text).  It should have
been 4.7 (heading text)  Retagging did not work, nor did re-importing all of
the formatting parameters into the file.  Copying the text into a new doc
also did not work.    At that point, I assumed there was something hidden in
the text that was causing the problem.  The only solution I could find was
to delete the first heading, manually reenter the text, and retag the
heading.

So, my question to the list is:  What can cause a heading to become corrupt?
I forgot to mention that these files are imported from Word.  But remember,
all of them worked except one.

Thanks,

Diane