'Bold' not inserted in Character Formats

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson bodvar at gmail.com
Fri May 26 04:57:42 PDT 2006

I have a weird problem on my hands, and I probably have had it for a
long time (years). I have a problem with setting some of my Character
Tags to bold. I am not sure whether it is isolated to the Helvetica
font, but this is how it goes:

I start the usual way by CTRL-D to the Character Designer.
Set all to 'As Is'
Name the tag (e.g. Bold or Caution, see sample clip from MIF file)
Set all to 'As Is' again.
Set Font Weight to 'Bold'

It looks OK, but nothing happens, as this MIF sample shows:

 <Font
  <FTag `Bold'>
  <FWeight `'>
  <FLocked No>
 > # end of Font
 <Font
  <FTag `Caution'>
  <FWeight `'>
  <FUnderlining FNumeric>
  <FLocked No>
 > # end of Font

As implied above, the font for most paragraph tags is Helvetica. And
within paragraph tags the font weight setting to 'Bold' is OK.

Now, if I seem to be able to set this character tag correctly and
someone else is using it on his computer and everything seems to be
working OK, the next time I see it and check it out the setting used
is actually 'Bolded' instead of 'Bold'.

I have the Helvetica Bold installed on all computers involved, and
these are originally fonts that we got with our all licensed PageMaker
5, 6 and 6.5 packages through the years. I believe it is the 6.0
distro we are using. These distros included some 200 fonts free upon
registering and sending a special message, including the Helvetica
regular, bold, oblique and bold oblique.

Now, if I change the tags manually within a MIF copy as below,
everything seems to work as expected when I open it in FM again...

 <Font
  <FTag `Bold'>
  <FWeight `Bold'>
  <FLocked No>
 > # end of Font
 <Font
  <FTag `Caution'>
  <FWeight `Bold'>
  <FUnderlining FNumeric>
  <FLocked No>
 > # end of Font

... until you then go to the Character Catalog, the you see that
everything is changed to 'Bolded' again!

This is an unstructured document, but I am opening it in Structured
FM, currently with a lot of structured files open that is rather time
consuming to have to close and open again. Could this (opening an
unstructured file in Structured FM with a lot of structured files
open) be a problem?

Best regards,
Bodvar Bjorgvinsson
Supervisor Publications