Links to captions in PDF

Tue May 30 13:49:01 PDT 2006

Don wrote:

> I don't really mind this work-around, except that placing a
> caption above an illustration is very nonstandard and may
> require an explanation in the preface.

"Very nonstandard"? You've led a sheltered life. ;-)

In printed books, I've seen figure captions above, below, to the left,
and to the right of figures. Somehow, readers have managed to figure
them out without detailed instructions.

In PDFs, it seems to me that captions above have become pretty
*standard* -- except among the writers who still haven't recognized the
linking issue you discovered.

My advice: Forget the "white text" kludge (which can introduce other
issues, since the text is still there in the PDF). Put the figure
captions above the figures, and don't worry about explanations.

Presumably, your figure captions are separated from the text above by
extra white space, use a distinct pgf format (font, size, and/or L and R
indents), and probably have an autonumber (like "Figure 21:"). No one
with an IQ above room temperature will require an explanation in the
preface.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs