Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.0

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 3 09:53:35 PST 2006

At 09:37 -0800 3/11/06, Dov Isaacs wrote:

>This is a good time, though, to repeat my warning that you should not attempt to have either multiple versions of Acrobat, multiple versions of Reader, and/or mixtures of Acrobat and Reader installed on a given system.

Why, Dov? Reader, surely, is a stand-alone program that can co-exist happily in multiple versions?

> Although it is possible to coerce the installers to do that, it is neither endorsed nor supported by Adobe. Many, many problems that we hear about with regards to anything PDF ultimately get traced to attempts to have anything more than one version of Acrobat or of Reader installed on one system.

I hear you. One version of Acrobat Pro only makes sense, and certainly the version of Pro should match the version of Distiller... but Reader? Ok, 7 Pro can probably create PDF versions or features that Reader 6 doesn't understand, but we can allow for that. Freelances, in particular, often need many tools in their tool-chest, and are extremely loath to delete old versions of software that might one day be needed.

FWIW, I've had 5 Pro and 6 Pro on a Mac for several years, as well as Reader 7, without any apparent ill effects. In fact, I can remember several instances a few years back when Distiller 6 would not distill something, but Distiller 5 would, getting me out of Postscript-error hell.

I can understand why Adobe might not want to support this sort of mix, though.

--
Steve