Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.0

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Fri Nov 3 16:42:19 PST 2006

Steve,

No, Adobe Reader really isn't a "stand-alone program that
can co-exist in multiple versions."

Installation of Reader includes browser plug-ins, icon-handlers,
file associations, registry entries, etc. all of which are
candidates for conflicts.

The problems that I mention are more prevalent under Windows
than on Mac, but even the Mac has issues with such parallel
installations. Some program must respond to double clicks
to open/process files from the user interface.

For the full Acrobat product, the web is even more tangled with
PostScript driver plug-ins, port monitors, etc.

	- Dov