Frame on PC = upgrade the Graphics Card?

Mon Nov 6 09:11:38 PST 2006

James Dyson wrote:

> Has anyone noticeably improved the rate at which graphics are
> loaded in Frame while running on a PC when they upgraded
> their graphics card? We are considering doing so here, and I
> suspect it will make a vast improvement. Our PCs are pretty
> current. I don't want to get lost in the details of hardware
> configurations etc., but was wondering if anyone had any
> success in alleviating the problem

I suspect there'd be no noticeable improvement. (I assume your PC
currently has a reasonably recent video card, not just an
on-the-motherboard graphics chip that shares system memory.)

John asked the first key question -- are the graphics on a network
server?

Assuming they're on your PC, how much RAM does it have? More RAM would
almost certainly make far more difference than a faster graphics card.
You should have at least a gigabyte. If you have lots of large graphics,
adding a second gig would be worthwhile.

A very slow hard drive could also be a factor, but that's unlikely with
a reasonably current PC (you do defrag regularly, right?).

HTH!
Richard

------
Richard G. Combs