Framemaker, WebWords and Graphics issues when Converting to HTML Help

Kevin Hunter kevinh at excelsystems.com
Fri Nov 10 11:39:00 PST 2006

Hi all,

I have a Frame User Guide that we also convert to HTML help to use in the software application. The User Guide includes some 250 illustrations, in PNG format. In a significant number of those illustrations, I've used the Frame drawing tools (arrows and circles) to point out particular screen elements.

I'm having a couple of problems when creating my HTML help:

1. First of all, the undoctored PNG images (with no arrows, circles) come across fine (other than the usual size issues, but I'm just planning on living with those... for now it's not worth my time to have two versions of a bunch of the images, unless there's a way to specify a conversion for images exceeding a particular width?)
2. The images that include the arrows, etc, all get converted to GIF's by default. The downside to this a drop in image quality, but I get to keep the arrows, etc. If I change to JPG at a quality of 100, I get an improvement, but converting to PNG (even at 16 million colors) is worse.
3. An alternative is to manually map the images with the arrows, etc, to PNGbyReference, which means that it keeps the original image (in all its crispness), but loses the arrows, etc.

What I'd like is the best of both worlds: to have the same quality of my original images, but lay the arrows on top.

Any suggestions? Is there a way to tweak the graphics converter in WebWorks to enhance how the conversion is handled?

Thanks!

Kevin Hunter