Unstructured to structured Frame: preserving referenced file info

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Tue Nov 14 08:43:30 PST 2006

At 04:10 AM 11/14/2006, Inbar, Paul wrote:
>I am using a conversion table to add structure to an unstructured Frame
>document, and am having trouble preserving the source path of graphics
>which have been imported by reference.
>
>My conversion rule has G: in the first column and GRAPHIC in the second
>column.
>
>In the structured result I get what I guess is a graphic element
>(GRAPHIC), but there is no information about the source file. I have
>looked in the Structure Application Developer's Guide, but didn't find
>this particular topic addressed. Did I miss something? Does anyone have
>any idea about what to do to get the source path to get carried over into
>the structured document?

Paul,
   Structuring a document does not change the anchored frames. If an
anchored frame in the original unstructured document contains a graphic
that was imported by reference, the structured document will have the same
graphic. You can confirm the file used by clicking on the image and using
Graphics > Object Properties (or selecting Object Properties from the
context menu that appears when you right-click). At the bottom of the
Object Properties dialog box, FrameMaker displays the name of the reference
file. If no filename is listed, the image was imported by copy instead of
reference. If you save the structured document to a different directory
than the one containing the original file, the association will still be to
the graphic file in the original directory.

   If you eventually save the structured document, possibly after editing,
to XML, depending on the read/write rules in your application, FrameMaker
will set an attribute of your GRAPHIC element either to the path of the
original graphic or to a new exported copy.

         --Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284