Imported graphics not exporting to XML: update

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 28 06:41:37 PST 2006

At 19:22 +0000 27/11/06, someone called Steve Rickaby wrote:

>What can cause the message:
>
>'Cannot export graphics or equation contents. Check the element mapping and description'
>
>and failure to export graphics with XML export?
>
>I am exporting to XML without a structured application in place, as this is one-way only. (Maybe not a great idea?) The documents are all valid, and the exported XML looks ok, but as far as I can see none of the imported graphics files are exported. The majority of imported graphics are EPS format.

After half a day of documentation thrashing and cerebral overload, I think I now know part of the reason for this: I should have included a filepath attribute in the EDD for imported graphics. Adding one at least gets a file id into the XML... even though I still get the error. Grrr.

Another possible problem is that the Structured Developer's Guide lists 'EPSB', 'EPSD', 'EPSF' and 'EPSI' as exportable, but not plain old 'EPS'. We are working with EPSs from Adobe Illustrator.

I've also encountered an issue with element naming: we used the bullet character to distinguish top-level elements, as in 'Chapter*', and FrameMaker doesn't seem to like this, and appears to be reading the element name only to the character immediately preceding the bullet. Maybe it's because bullet isn't allowed in XML?

Onwards and upwards...

--
Steve