Clarification of table title problem.

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 3 01:23:03 PDT 2006

At 13:32 -0400 2/10/06, Rick Quatro wrote:

>2) Set the table title to be left-aligned. Type text in the table title and you will see that if it is longer than the table width, it will extend beyond the right edge of the table. This does not happen if the title is center-aligned.

How interesting. I've never seen this because I don't think I've ever used FrameMaker's table titles, or at least, not much. This makes me glad I haven't. The title is even whackier for right-aligned tables with a left-aligned title.

Is it a bug, or just an undocumented feature? If it said somewhere 'Table title paragraphs only honor table left and right outside edges if the title is centered', all would be well. I can perhaps think of designs in which a left-aligned title that spanned the text page rather than just the table width might be ok.

The manual fix would seem to be to set up the First, Left and/or Right indents of the TableTitle para to match the table alignment and column widths if you want left-aligned table titles. But of course that only gets it right for one specific set of table alignments and widths, so you'd have to have multiple table title tags that shared the same numbering thread and be very consistent with your table sizings.

While messing with this, I noticed another small bug. FrameMaker's default table title para tag's autonumber is created with no tabs, which makes it harder to align the left indent of a multi-line table title than it should be. I.e, it's 'Table\s<n+>:\s' and not 'Table\t<n+>:\t'.

--
Steve