Indexing recommendations

Kevin Hunter kevinh at excelsystems.com
Wed Oct 4 08:10:00 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I'm at the indexing stage of a 400 page book for a product I hadn't worked with for about 3 years (so no memory of what I indexed before). The manual has also been totally restructured, and many features superseded by different ones. Now I'm looking at building the index, and the 'old', manual way is probably not going to work for me too well.

The minimum I'd like is to see index entries inline. Anything extra is gravy, but I'm not convinced I do need much extra, so if I can see and work with entries inline (a View option?) for cheap/free, I'd start there. But if I have to pay for this feature, can you all recommend a product that has the best combination of other, extra features for the price?

I've so far found:

http://www.fsatools.com/ - IXgen (comparatively more costly, lots of features, but would I use them all?)
http://www.leximation.com/tools/info/markertools.php - Leximation marker tools, less costly, but I have more trouble seeing the usefulness of some of the features
http://www.siliconprairiesoftware.com/Products.html  -Silicon Prairie index tools, cheapest, but doesn't seem to link directly into the frame marker system, does some other kind of marker?

Anyway, I realize this is a regular question, so I do appreciate any time taken to send suggestions. Succinct, bulleted lists would be sufficient.

Thanks,

Kevin Hunter
ESDI, Victoria BC