Graphics conundrum

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 5 07:17:31 PDT 2006

Adobe Illustrator CS2, FrameMaker 7.0, Acrobat Pro 6, Apple Mac OS X 10.4.8

I am inserting the same raster graphic into a FrameMaker document in two sizes, one scaled down slightly, the other scaled down a lot. The graphic is supplied as an EPS. The problem I'm seeing is that the highly scaled version shows pixellation in PDFs created from FrameMaker.

I know this can be avoided, because the designer's proof, created in Quark, does not show this pixellation on the highly-reduced graphics.

I have tried both EPS and PDF output from Illustrator. PDF imports look a great deal better in FrameMaker,  but are still pixellated in the PDF created from the document. I have also tried doing the scaling both in Illustrator and in FrameMaker, but the results are more or less the same.

I am making sure that the raster effect resolution in Illustrator is 300 dpi. Maybe I should set it higher? Or maybe it's a FrameMaker import thing? Or there's something else obvious that I'm missing?

Any advice welcome.
--
Steve