Global Search and Replace

Thu Oct 5 08:56:56 PDT 2006

Ben Anderson wrote:

> I'm sure this has been asked/answered before, but is there a
> way to globally replace one paragraph tag with another in a
> book file?  For example, I have a tag called "X-1" and I want
> to replace it with "A-3".

I recommend opening and saving all files in the book first. Then:

1) Put your cursor in an "A-3" pgf, and select Edit > Copy Special >
Paragraph Format.

2) Select Edit > Find/Change (Ctrl+f).

3) In the Find/Change dialog, set Find to Paragraph Tag and enter "X-1"
(minus the quotes) in the box to the right. Set Change to By Pasting.
Set Look in to Book.

4) If you're brave, you can click Change All, but I suggest stepping
through at least a few Change & Find operations first, until you're
confident it's doing what you intended.

Note: This only changes instances on body pages. If the pgf is used in
your master and ref pages, you have to search those separately.

HTH!
Richard

------
Richard G. Combs