"MIF"ed Newbie

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Thu Oct 5 19:52:12 PDT 2006

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 09:01:22 -0700, "Steve Cavanaugh"
<scavanaugh at nat-seattle.com> wrote:

>is there a way to prevent Frame from changing the
>cross-references when saving as MIF and then
>re-saving as .fm?

Yes: save the .mif in the *same* dir as the .fm.
Otherwise, Frame "corrects" *every* external ref,
for xrefs, hyperlinks, graphics, and insets (at
least).  If you want the .mif to be in a different
dir while you work on it, move it using Explorer
*after* Frame produces it.

That's what we do for the Mif2Go conversion to MIF,
which works for individual .fm files or full books,
and which we created so that we could put MIF files
into CVS conveniently.  We don't do that any more,
but the MIF destination format choice lives on in
Mif2Go, and works fine in the free demo version
(which isn't size or time limited):
  http://www.omsys.com/dcl/download.htm

Using that, you can specify any directory you
want as the destination, and the files will
work correctly when you put them back into the
original directory.  (Of course, if you open
them in Frame in the other dir, they *won't*
work. ;-)  We generally name the MIF files .fm,
so that references from the book file work;
when Frame saves them next, it saves them in
the real .fm binary format.  Makes it easy.

Mif2Go also has a "Wash via MIF" command, which
saves files (or books) as MIF, then re-opens
them and re-saves as .fm.  This trip through
MIF often cleans up oddities in the Frame files.
That works fine in the free demo version too.

HTH!