Issue in Optimizing PDF size

Ridder, Fred fred.ridder at intel.com
Sat Oct 7 07:15:01 PDT 2006

For *any* book-level operation (updating, printing, etc.) to
succeed, FrameMaker has to be able to open, save, and
close each file "silently" (not displaying the file) with no
messages. Any warning message upon opening any file
(e.g., the "older version" message you report, an unresolved
cross-reference warning, an unavailable fonts alert) will
prevent FrameMaker from completing the "silent open"
operation and cause the book-level operation to fail.

Assuming that one or more of the component files in the
book are version 5.5.x files, you have two options:

1) Open each component file in turn (dismissing the alert
message) and then explicitly save the file to convert it
to 7.0 format so that it will open without any message the
next time you attempt a book-level operation.

2) Open all the component files before doing the book-level
operation by using the Open All Files in Book command
(available if you hold down Shift when you pull down the
File menu).  You will have to manually dismiss the warning
message for each file as it is opened. And don't forget to
save all the files (in 7.0 format) after performing the
book-level operation.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ